Located on a prominent street, this Greek revival style two-story home was built in 1837. The street developed as a residential neighborhood in the 19th and early parts of the 20th century so that the town could accommodate the influx of people due to the growth of the town center. For a brief time, it was known as “Captain’s Row” due to the number of sea captains who lived there. This home was built by Enoch H. Howes and his wife, Patia (Patience), daughter of Captain Joseph Atwood, in the mid-19th century. In the 1850 US census, Enoch is listed as a sailor, who later became a Master Mariner and then a Shipmaster for a brig named The Acorn.
Our clients purchased the home and years later hired us to complete a major renovation. It is an excellent example of the modest but refined Greek Revival style. The historic structure is covered in wood clapboard siding and consists of a two-story, three-bay front form. The front gable above the second story is clad in flushboard, reminiscent of the stone used in original Greek buildings. Because the home is historic, there were tight guidelines with the Historic Commission. Any elements of the home that were replaced had to be reviewed. The house is on a long and narrow site, with a steep slope at the front of the property. The new design had to work closely with these existing conditions to maximize usable space and maintain a comfortable, yet functional front and rear yard.
When our firm began the renovation of the home, it was very important to the homeowners that they preserve the historical character inside and outside, while creating a more open and modern floor plan in the addition. The existing house and new addition had to be clearly separate in exterior aesthetic, while also complementing each other. The existing home was lifted and placed back on an entirely new brick clad foundation which allowed for the new addition to perfectly align. The existing windows and doors were stripped, repaired and re-used; trim moldings were also re-used and replicated where missing. The existing wood floors were salvaged, re-installed and re-finished in the original home. The “old feel” of the original home was instrumental in the finishes and details.
During final construction, the remains of a Native Mariner were found under the driveway, which halted construction. After examination by the proper authorities, it was concluded that the remains were over 100 years old. A representative from the local Wampanoag tribe came and performed a ceremony with us and the owners.