The Estimator is responsible for analyzing project plans, developing scopes of work, and preparing detailed cost estimates.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Review plans and architectural drawings; prepare quantity take-offs on assigned projects.
- Ensure a complete review of plans and drawings. Identify items that have been omitted and ensure appropriate accounting for such items in overall estimate package that represents the full scope of the project.
- Solicit subcontractor bids for assigned projects. Obtain a minimum of 3 bids for each trade and supplier group. Review and analyze bids for conformance to project specifications, price, material quality and related items. Discusses and resolves any questions with subcontractor prior to submission of final estimate.
- Follow approved estimating practices consistent with company guidelines. Ensure such practices result in the most complete estimates possible while ensuring the financial objectives are met.
- Maintains current information on trends in and changes to existing construction codes in order to ensure complete bids from subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Utilizes appropriate software programs to calculate, record and track estimates. Maintains skills at utilizing appropriate software to provide optimal job performance.
- As requested, attends client meetings to discuss estimates, answering any questions and resolving any issues regarding pricing and estimates.
- Provides other services as directed including change order pricing.
- Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
Candidates will need to meet the following qualifications:
- 4 year Degree, Construction Management Degree, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of work experience in estimating construction, residential construction preferred.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of residential construction.
- Knowledge of construction cost control and basic accounting procedures.
- Timberline Construction Software experience preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office - Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Possess analytical skills and research skills to define and solve problems.
- Ability in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess a positive, "can do" attitude.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Field and/or office environment.
- Travel to the site, and off-site locations will be required.
- May be exposed to hazardous working environments with heavy machinery.
- Reaching above and below, stooping and bending.
- Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity to operate office equipment, file, and perform specialized skills.
- Needs a high degree of concentration in a busy field and office environment.
This is a full-time, year-round position with excellent benefits within an energized, collaborative environment. For more information, or to submit your resume and letter of interest, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Polhemus Savery DaSilva Architects Builders (PSD)
PSD is nationally recognized for thoughtful architectural design and quality construction throughout Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and southeastern New England. Offering an innovative single source for new construction, remodeling, and renovation projects, our firm provides fully integrated services for select residential, commercial and institutional clients. PSD offices are located in East Harwich and Hingham, MA.