The Carpenter possesses skills and performs work that is basic to most building construction. They will erect wood framework in buildings, build forms for concrete, and erect partitions, studs, joists, drywall and rafters. Many Carpenters work indoors to install all types of floor coverings, ceilings, paneling, trim and interior systems. They must be very skillful as “finish” work is visible and often involves expensive materials. All Carpenters use a wide variety of hand and power tools, and they must be able to maintain their tools in good, safe working order.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Follow and execute direction provided by the Construction Manager and/or Carpenter Foremen.
- Ability to work independently and not excessively rely on others for support.
- Accomplish assigned tasks and engage in other tasks without direction.
- Demonstrate initiative at job sites.
- Maintain a clean, safe and efficient work area.
- Perform solid acceptable work consistently.
- Ability to solve math problems quickly and accurately.
- Possess aptitude for learning and application of newly acquired skills.
- Assist Construction Manager and/or Carpenter Foreman.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To become a Carpenter one must demonstrate proficiency as a Carpenter Apprentice. As a craftsman, one must illustrate an average knowledge of all facets of a particular trade executing quality work consistent with PSD construction standards. A Carpenter must have full knowledge of carpentry tools and skills.
Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 3-5 years in the carpentry trade.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- OSHA 10-hour certification required, 30-hour preferred.
- Current and valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Carpenters usually work with or around other construction tradesmen. They work indoors and outdoors, often in tight places, and must be able to a wide variety of conditions. All Carpenters should expect to do a considerable amount of lifting (in excess of 50 pounds), carrying, climbing, kneeling, balancing, and even crawling. Thus, a certain amount of strength, dexterity, and alertness is required. Because Carpenters work in so many varied conditions, they must be very knowledgeable of the hazards and safety requirements of the job.
A Carpenter who exhibits above average proficiency in the trade, consistently demonstrates initiative and leadership, who gets their assigned work done properly and on schedule, and who works to improve his/her skills, will often be in line for promotion to Carpenter Foreman.
Eligibility for promotion to Carpenter Foreman requires that the candidate complete the following:
- Maintain OSHA 30-hour certification through company sponsored programs.
- Maintain First Aid and CPR certifications through company sponsored programs.
- Enroll and successfully pass a communication course specific to the construction industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and manage Carpenters on projects. Candidate shall be given an opportunity to supervise and direct Carpenters on a series of projects. The evaluation period will take place over a minimum of a one (1) year period.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, physical job demands and working conditions associated with the job.
For more information, or to submit your resume and letter of interest, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Polhemus Savery DaSilva Architects Builders (PSD)
PSD is nationally recognized for thoughtful architectural design and quality construction throughout Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and southeastern New England. Offering an innovative single source for new construction, remodeling, and renovation projects, our firm provides fully integrated services for select residential, commercial and institutional clients.